Thursday, August 10, 2006

That Sinking Feeling

Man, the last 10 days have been rough on Red Sox Nation. Losing 2 to Tampa and 2 (so far) to KC? I'm not liking it. Now, I'm not one of these bandwagon Sox fans. I'm a Sox fan who is also a baseball fan so I look at the big picture and the picture I'm getting isn't pretty. Let's face it, even fully healthy (Wells, Wake, Clement) our starting rotation is shaky. Middle and short relief has become inconsistent at best (or maybe consistent...Consistently bad). Even the once invincible Jon (I refuse to call him Jonathan) Papelbon has looked all to human lately. Don't even get me started on the bats. Other then Manny and Ortiz, it seems everyone went quiet at once. I'm an optimist, but it's getting harder and harder to believe the playoffs are within reach.

What makes this all worse is the Yankee's survived (so far) their rash of injuries to take a 3 game lead in the East. While it's possible to take the Wildcard, I honestly think the key to the Playoffs is the American League East. So, what do we do to make this happen? I have a short list:

  1. Get healthy. I know there is no control over this, but it is essential. A healthy Wells and Wake is key
  2. Get a bat somewhere. They need to take advantage of being behind the Yankees now and pluck up that key waiver wire acquisition to add pop to the lineup. They are looking foolish right now letting the Yanks get Abreau and Lidle for 4 jabronis...And a massive salary.
  3. Win tonight, sweep through the Birds, take 2 out of 3 against Detroit (no easy task) and do as much damage head to head in 5 against the Yanks. After next week, it's a tough West Coast swing, so they really have to make hay while the sun shines.

All things are possible in Red Sox nation but I simply don't feel it right now

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home